As summer quickly approaches, how many of us book lovers can’t wait to dive into a juicy novel while the evening of a cool summer breeze plants tiny, wet, kisses all over your face as you sip your favorite ice cold drink? LOL! Sounds lovely, doesn’t it? The only thing I know that’s better than getting lost in a good book is reading ANOTHER GOOD BOOK as soon as you finish. So what better way to do that than to have a list of books just for that very purpose?
As an avid reader, I’ve be become quite eclectic in my choices for a good sit down, but my heart will always be with Urban Fiction. Last summer, (at the encouragement of one of my ex students), I FINALLY decided to pick up “The Hunger Games Trilogy” and was totally engrossed and inspired by it to start writing my own trilogy, hence, the 1st installment of my novel, “The Devil You Know” was born. The problem was that after I finished, I had no clue what I wanted to read next. I eventually settled on some Erica Kennedy, Ted Dekker, and Kimberla Lawson Roby, but my heart yearned for some juicy Urban tales that wasn’t the same old recycled pimp, player, hustler, stripper stories with the same DAMN CHARCATERS, just with a different name and a new book cover! LOL!. Even with the plethora of thousands of titles out there, I didn’t have anything in particular that I could jump right into.
During, my first summer here in Sin City since moving from Los Angeles, I discovered that one of the coolest FREE spots to break away from the triple digit temperatures was to hang out at the library which is open 7 days a week much to my surprise. So it wasn’t that I didn’t have choices, it was just that I had so much many options, that a list of titles that I could choose from would have been a God send.
In no particular order, listed below are 24 titles and authors of Urban Fiction that will keep you busy all summer long. The novels range from various topics including, love, religion, politics, and drug abuse. Some of the authors, you’ve heard of before like Kimberla Lawson Roby, Eric Jerome Dickey, and our very own Tameka Newhouse. Others, you may not, like Ghalee Wadood, Kre, Alicia Perry, oh…and me! LOL! Nonetheless, all have been selected as a means to keep you engaged and entertained over the next 3 months so that you will not be floundering around like a jheri curl with no activator like I was last year after wrapping up, “The Mokingjay” and the heart pounding tale of Ms. Katniss Everdeen!
Peace & Blessings! 😉
* All titles are available now except where there’s a release date noted.
AUTHOR TITLE RELEASE DATE
- Tamika Newhouse The Ultimate No-No 4 August 6, 2013
- Kre The Game Don’t Love Nobody
- Kimberla Lawson Roby A House Divided
- LoveBelvin Love Lost
- Karen Williams The Demise of Alexis Vancamp
- Pieces of Justice Shaundra June 11, 2013
- The Color of a Leader Alicia Perry
- Candice Dow The Ex Wife
- Anna Black Now You Wanna Come Back 3
- Daniel Peace Perfect Peace
- Steven Love Trust Nobody
- Keleigh Crigler Hadley Revenge
- Derrick Burke Blind Evidence
- Vanessa Kirby Heroin Heartbreak June 22, 2013
- Ghalee Wadood Blood Cuzzins
- Sistah Souljah A Deeper Love
- Stacy Covington-Lee The Knife in My Back
- Eric Jerome Dickey Decadence
- Blaque Dirty DNA
- Michael F. Blake The Holy City
- Harmonie Reigns Dying to Live
- Melissa Foster Have No Shame
- Lashanta Charles Lovely Lies
- The Devil You Know Sexcee Jackson